If, like post people, you have tight hips then spending a little time doing these yoga stretches for hips will be really helpful. If you run or cycle a lot then these will be especially useful stretches for you! Finding freedom in the hips means you'll be able to move your lower limbs more easily so make sure to dedicate time to stretching them.
So you're tired after a run and would rather jump in the shower or devour your own body weight in carbs after a run- but first make time to stretch. Stretching after exercising (running) helps maintain muscle flexibility. After working those muscles hard to power you through the run, it's equally important that they stretch back to their normal length afterwards to ensure they remain fully functional no matter what activity you do.
Here's some guidance on stretching:
- ensure your body and muscles are warm before to stretching
- stretch before and after exercise (active stretching during the warm up, static stretching during the cool down)
- stretch all muscle groups that are involved in the activity
- stretch gently and slowly
- never bounce or stretch rapidly
- stretch gently to the point of mild discomfort, never pain
- don't hold your breath when stretching; breathing should be slow and easy
After a run you should stretch your:
- Inner Thighs
- Back - especially the lower